When it comes to finding the best sleeping bags for camping, it can be something of a challenge. There are a lot of things that have to be considered before you make a decision about a sleeping bag. Just as you would carefully choose from the best tents for camping, you want to choose a sleeping bag that truly meets all of your needs, both from a personal perspective and with regard to the type of environment that you plan to go camping in. For example, you want to choose something that is constructed well enough to stand up to the elements. The last thing that you need is a sleeping bag that falls apart on you when you need it most.
In addition, you usually invest a decent amount of money on a sleeping bag, so you do not want something that is going to last only once or twice and then fall apart. In addition to these qualities, you need something that is easy to use, that is relatively lightweight when you are hiking and that is easy to maintain. Sleeping bags get really dirty, so you want something that you can maintain easily. It does not matter how much money you spend on a sleeping bag if you find yourself in a situation where you have to get rid of it after the first use or two. Therefore, your decision will largely depend on how often you plan on using it as well as the terrain involved.
Of course, comfort is a huge issue and you want something that is comfortable and that will keep you warm. One of the biggest factors that you have to consider is the temperature rating on a sleeping bag. Depending on the time of year that you are camping, you may even need to incorporate several different products to ensure that you stay warm during the coldest of months, but that you are not too warm when the weather is hotter. Below is a list of 5 different sleeping bags. This represents a good cross section of some of the best products available. You should be able to find something that suits your needs, regardless of what those particular needs might be.
1) Coleman Big Game -5 Degree Big And Tall Sleeping Bag
This sleeping bag is constructed from 100 percent cotton. It works well in temperatures ranging from 0 degrees Fahrenheit to 5 degrees Fahrenheit, meaning it is one of the best cold temperature sleeping bags available.
- It comfortably sleeps someone that is up to 6 feet 5 inches tall. This is a huge plus because many sleeping bags are simply not long enough to be comfortable for someone of this height.
- It features a flannel liner to keep you warm as well as a cotton canvas exterior. Its overall design effectively keeps your body heat inside while simultaneously locking out the cold. As cold weather sleeping bags go, this is one of the most durable and best constructed examples available.
- In addition, it is manufactured by a company that stands by its quality and that has been manufacturing camping equipment for decades.
All of these factors come together to make this one of the most interesting purchase options that you have at your fingertips. If comfort, durability and cold weather protection are what you are looking for, this just might be the product for you.
2) Teton Sports Celsius xxl -18 Degree C/0 Degree F Flannel Lined Sleeping Bag
- It features complete double layer construction from end to end, and this sets it apart from much of its competition.
- It helps create exceptional durability so the sleeping bag is likely to last far longer than many other options.
In addition, it seals out the cold very effectively and makes it an excellent choice for camping in cold weather climates or when the weather is going to be unpredictable.
- It also incorporates a unique taffeta exterior that helps further increase its durability while simultaneously sealing in body heat.
- The sleeping bag incorporates two way zippers that are designed to reduce drafts and make it easier to zip and unzip.
This is a product that has definitely managed to set itself apart from others that try to copy it. As a result, it is a favorite choice among people that frequently hike in the mountains or in other areas that generally experience extreme cold temperatures.
3) Wenzel Moose Sleeping Bag
This is a sleeping bag that is an excellent choice for anyone that wants to keep a younger individual entertained with a creative design or for someone that simply wants to go out on a whim and buy something that is different.
- Its most obvious feature is the moose design on the exterior, something that most sleeping bags definitely do not incorporate.
- It is also extremely lightweight, weighing in at just over three pounds. However, it is able to comfortably fit someone that is 5 feet 6 inches in height and it is insulated quite well, effectively keeping you warm even in relatively cool temperatures.
- It is designed to work in temperatures all the way down to 40 degree Fahrenheit or 4 degree Celsius.
Overall, it is a decent sleeping bag that you can comfortably use in a lot of different weather situations, especially if you only go camping a few times a year.
4) Teton Sports Mammoth Queen Size Flannel Lined Sleeping Bag
For anyone that really wants to stay warm and be extra comfortable, this is an excellent product that will suit even the most discerning individual.
- It incorporates a 100 percent polyester design in conjunction with a flannel liner. This provides outstanding warmth and adds an extra layer of softness.
- The product also features a two way zipper the resist snags and a form fitting hood. In order to round out the package and make it more complete, a draft tube that runs from top to bottom is installed. The product also features shoulder baffles. This makes it an outstanding product for anyone that wants to stay warm in the cold, no matter how cold it gets.
- It also fits individuals that are bigger and taller than most individuals. Obviously, this makes it a popular option for people that are well over 6 feet tall.
- It also incorporates solid construction that is able to handle a lot of punishment, so it can take a real beating and keep coming back for more.
5) Coleman Brazos Cold Weather Sleeping Bag
With this particular product, the name says it all. It is designed for cold weather and because of that fact, it features a 100 percent polyester design. This makes effective in temperatures ranging from 20 degrees Fahrenheit to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
This product has a lot of advantages going for it. For instance, it has zippers that are specially designed to resist snags and it incorporates a soft, warm knit lining that is extremely comfortable, even when sleeping on rough terrain. For the ultimate level of convenience, it can be washed in your own machine at home and it has been designed in such a way that its insulation stays where it is supposed to stay, even when you do that on a fairly frequent basis.
However, it does have one serious drawback. It is only designed to comfortably fit people that are up to 5 feet 11 inches tall. This is great for anyone that is under that height but for larger, taller individuals, this is a product that simply will not get the job done. If it were just a few inches longer, it could easily be considered the near perfect sleeping bag, even out of the many options that are currently available.
Of course, everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to choosing the best sleeping bag for camping. Some people prefer a particular design while others want to get as many features incorporated into the product as possible.
The truth is, the sleeping bag that is considered a perfect fit for one individual may not be anything special to the next person that comes along. While it is vitally important to look at any and all features that are incorporated on a particular product, much of it really comes down to knowing exactly what you want and using your preferences to purchase the right product. This may be more difficult if you do not have a lot of experience with camping.
However, experienced campers and hikers typically know exactly what they want. Therefore, they are able to purchase a product that can get the job done without a lot of hassle. If you are looking for a high quality product, start by examining various features that are included on different products and then go from there. Eventually, you will find your ideal product and you will know exactly what works for you